Patients Rights and Responsibilities were established with the expectation that observance of these rights will contribute to more effective patient care and greater satisfaction for the patient, family, physicians and the facility caring for the patient. Patients shall have these rights regardless of age, race, sex, national origin, religion, culture, personal values or belief systems.
It is the patient’s responsibility:
- To read and understand all permits and/or consents you sign. If you do not understand your Patient Information Consent, it is your responsibility to ask the nurse or physician for clarification. If you do not understand the Financial Agreement, it is your responsibility to ask the Business Office Representative for clarification.
- To answer all medical and financial questions truthfully and to the best of your knowledge.
- To read carefully and follow any pre-operative written or oral instructions your physician or Delmarva Surgery Center has given.
- To notify your physician or Delmarva Surgery Center if you have not followed the pre-operative instructions.
- To provide an adult to transport you home after the surgery if you have received medications and/or anesthesia.
- To provide for someone to be responsible for your care for the first 24 hours after your procedure.
- To follow carefully any written or verbal postoperative instructions from your physician(s) or nurse. This includes keeping any scheduled postoperative appointments with your physician.
- To contact your physician regarding any post-operative question, problem, or complication.
- To assure your financial obligations for services are fulfilled as promptly as possible and to assume ultimate responsibility for payment regardless of insurance coverage.
- To notify the Executive Director or Medical Director if you feel any rights have been violated or if you have a complaint, or suggestion for improvement. This can be accomplished by completing and returning your patient questionnaire or by direct contact.